Planning on taking your family on a vacation this fall? It’s easy to get wrapped up in all the plans and excitement, but be sure to keep these safety tips in mind when traveling!
- Check the forecast daily and request weather alerts along the planned route.
- Check tire pressure before the trip (and regularly during) and inflate tires to the recommended level.
- Replace windshield wipers.
- Don’t overload the vehicle.
- Schedule stops throughout the day and be sure to book hotel rooms in advance.
- Follow other vehicles safely by observing the 3/6/9 rule. In normal conditions, account for a minimum 3 seconds between the time the car in front of you passes a fixed object and the time you pass it. Allow a minimum of 6 seconds in heavy traffic or inclement weather, and allow a minimum of 9 seconds in severe weather.
- Keep windows clean and watch for chips or cracks from debris. Avoid washing a window with a crack and keep from hitting potholes and slamming doors, which can worsen a damaged window.